Forum - Puzzling Conversations

Subject - Piece damage vs missing

You may be able to see and do more if you log in or register.

08/11/2021 08:30am   by   Butterflybear  
Most of my puzzles come from here. As long as I am aware in advance I don’t really mind missing pieces. I have several times had puzzles with mangled pieces (presumably cat, dog, baby…). I’m not sure that I wouldn’t prefer the piece missing than mangled since it really doesn’t contribute to the puzzle. If people ever actually frequent here, do others have an opinion on this?
    report     reply
08/11/2021 08:42am   by   Glenn & Tina S. (site owners)  
I agree, a missing piece isn't too bad as long as we know in advance. For mangled pieces, to me they are the same as missing. But if someone wanted to list NO MISSING they could still put a note on their puzzle that says that some are mangled. Again, so you know in advance what you are getting. To me, it isn't a huge deal if pieces have a FEW pieces with lifting edges and they are only lightly lifting. It is when they are really badly dinged that I want to know in advance. Aka: dog/cat ate it, etc.
    report     reply
10/29/2022 09:18am   by   J Nev  
What about pieces that were missing but the puzzler made a new one from cardboard? I often do this (and think I do a pretty good job if my kid can't find the replacement piece in the finished puzzle!) But I don't know if anyone would want to swap for a puzzle with a handmade piece in it. I do mention this in detailed notes or comments (nobody has willingly swapped for one yet)
    report     reply
10/29/2022 12:46pm   by   Glenn & Tina S. (site owners)  
That is interesting. I don't have the skill to do something like that. I tried making replacement pieces out of a modeling putty but that didn't work. I will look at your collection and see if you have anything that catches my eye. Maybe we can swap for one of mine that is missing a piece and you can create a replacement piece for it. Or not. LOL
    report     reply
10/29/2022 12:50pm   by   Glenn & Tina S. (site owners)  
I took a look, sadly nothing was catching my eye. I would be curious to see how your repaired piece came out. That sounds like a great skill to have. :)
    report     reply
12/12/2022 09:41am   by   J Nev  
I haven't input all my puzzles onto the site, and need to figure out if I can add extra pictures that show the replaced pieces? I'm still figuring out how to use all the features on here. I make the pieces out of thin cardboard (like from a cereal box) several layers glued together, then white paper on top if needed, colored with markers or colored pencil. The hardest part is cutting the tiny shapes out! but I think I'm getting better at it (my kids usually can't find the replacement piece in the finished puzzle.
    report     reply
12/12/2022 10:00am   by   Glenn & Tina S. (site owners)  
As of this date (12/12/2022), there is no way to upload extra images. We are considering adding a feature like this but so far we have not.
    report     reply

To get the most out of the website Log In or Register